Our commitment to privacy
At Storage Appliance Corporation, the protection of your personal information is very important to us. Storage Appliance's policy in regard to how we collect, use and disclose your personal information consists of 10 principles.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any piece of identifiable information about an individual and may include such information as your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, and billing information. The definition of personal information does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
Storage Appliance's 10 principles of privacy
- Storage Appliance is responsible for protecting the personal information under its control.
- Each one of our employees is accountable for safeguarding your privacy and is trained and periodically updated on our privacy practices.
2. Identifying Purposes: why we collect personal information
- When we collect information about you, we will explain why we are collecting it at or before the time the information is collected, unless the purpose is self-evident.
- Self-evident purposes include collecting your name, mailing address, email address, and other personal information when you call one of our customer service representatives or use our website to place an order for one of our products, to receive a newsletter or to enter into contests or promotions.
- In the case of placing an order, for example, the information is used to deliver, bill for, and collect payment for the product that you purchased. The information also enables Storage Appliance to customize products or services to better meet your preferences and to offer you products and services that may be of interest to you.
- You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features.
- The contact information that you submit to us is also used to get in touch with you when necessary. You can opt-out of receiving future mailings from us.
- We do not collect any personally identifiable information about you unless you agree to submit such information to us.
- We also collect non-personally identifiable information about you in a number of ways, to determine for example, whether you are using the most recent software version of our product or to determine what features are most-often and most-rarely used by our customers, in order to better serve and provide better products to our customers, and to gather broad demographic information.
- We use personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information for internal marketing purposes and for site administration.
- When you view our website or advertisements, we might store some information in the form of a "cookie" on your computer. Cookies are small pieces of information stored on your hard drive, not on our website, to help you navigate a website as easily as possible. Cookies can help us provide information that is targeted to your interests and they allow us to better understand how users use our website, which in turn helps us focus our resources on features that are most popular with our users. You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, but some parts of our website, may not work properly in that case.
- We will collect, use or disclose your personal information with your knowledge and consent only, except when required or permitted by law to do so otherwise.
- Consent may be expressed in writing or implied and can be provided verbally or electronically. For example, implied consent may be found through your conduct such as when you use our website or choose to purchase one of our products.
- Before deciding what type of consent is required, we will consider all the relevant factors such as the type of personal information that we need, the sensitivity of the information, and your reasonable expectations in regard to the personal information that is being collected.
- You can withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and the time required by us to comply with your wishes. If you have "opted in" or subscribed to one of our newsletters or mailing lists, we will always provide you the opportunity to "opt out" or unsubscribe. For example, each e-mail we send you will tell you how to decline further e-mail.
4. Limiting collection
- The amount of personal information that we collect is limited to what is reasonably necessary for the purpose that we have identified.
- We collect information by fair and lawful means.
- When you browse our website, information is not collected that could identify you personally unless you choose to provide us with such information.
5. Limiting use, disclosure and retention
- The information we request from you is only used for the purposes defined and for which you have consented. We will not use your personal information for any other purposes unless you have given us your consent to do so or we are required or permitted to do so by law.
- We do not sell customer lists or other personal information to third parties.
- Storage Appliance Corporation may share your personal information with certain service providers in order to provide products and services to you, to verify and validate information, and to address customer service matters. Examples of service providers include credit card issuers, product service depots, warranty providers, and delivery services. To reduce the risk of fraud or misuse of personal information, Storage Appliance Corporation may also verify your personal information, including but not limited to your address and credit card information, with third party service providers.
- We will use reasonable efforts to ensure that your personal information is used in a manner that is consistent with this Policy. If you do not wish us to provide your personal information to those service providers, we may be unable to process your transaction.
- Your personal information will only be retained as long as it is necessary to fulfill the defined purposes or as required by law.
- Storage Appliance Corporation may disclose your information as permitted or required by law; for example:
- to a government institution or other person or entity that has asserted its lawful authority to obtain the information;
- where we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful in the investigation of unlawful activity;
- to comply with a subpoena or warrant or an order made by a court, person or entity with jurisdiction to compel the production of information;
- to comply with court rules regarding the production of records and information; and
- to our legal counsel.
- We will do our best to keep your personal information as accurate and up-to-date as possible for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- However, we rely on you to provide us with the most accurate and up-to-date information about you and to promptly inform us of any relevant changes.
7. Safeguards: protecting your personal information
- We will protect your information with security safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- We use industry-standard methods to protect your personal information from unauthorized access such as storing information on a computer behind our "firewall" in a secure location, restricting the number of employees who can access personal information on a "need to know" basis, storing information in locked cabinets, using passwords and encryption on computers, and training our employees.
- Although we cannot take responsibility for any theft, misuse, unauthorized disclosure, loss, alteration or destruction of data by a third party, we take reasonable precautions to prevent such unfortunate occurrences.
- If you have any questions or concerns about privacy, we invite you to contact us by phone, fax, mail or email.
9. Individual access
- You can ask us about the existence, use and disclosure of personal information relating to you. We will comply with such requests, except where not permitted by law. For example, we cannot disclose information that contains references to personal information of other individuals or that is subject to solicitor-client privilege or litigation privilege.
- If you find any errors with your information or want to challenge its completeness, we invite you to contact us and we will correct it as soon as possible if you provide us with satisfactory evidence.
- If we deny your individual access request, we will inform you in writing of the reasons for our refusal.
- We may charge you a nominal fee for such information and we will inform you of this in advance of processing your request.
- We do not wish to obtain personally identifiable information from individuals under the age of sixteen. Thus, we ask individuals under the age of sixteen to refrain from providing us with any personal information. We will, upon discovery, remove any personal information of any person that is under the age of sixteen.
10. Challenging compliance
- You can reach Storage Appliance customer service at +1 (416) 484-0009.
- Please make sure to include your contact information, the nature of your question or concern and all relevant details including past communications with us. At that time, we may send you a complaints form for you to fill out which will also provide a detailed explanation on our process. We will work to the best of our abilities with you to resolve the matter as quickly as possible.